Monday, March 2, 2020

Teacher of The Year 2019-2020

Teacher of The Year
March 2, 2020

On January 21, 2020, the announcement was made, in front of my entire class, that I had been nominated and voted Teacher of the Year for our school. 

Ten days later, our staff received some devastating news regarding one of our beloved colleagues. Not long after, we received more heart-breaking news. Over the next couple of weeks, the bad news would keep dropping like bombs over Baghdad.

Needless to say, the excitement and joy of being chosen as Teacher of The Year quickly waned. It seemed insignificant compared to what our school was going through. Of more importance was letting the people I cared about know I cared about them; for no one is promised tomorrow.

In the meantime, I completed my Teacher of The Year application, submitted it to the district office, and continued to plan and teach what I knew my Scholars needed everyday. I had resolved to "just keep swimming" until Spring Break, then on to Summer Vacation.

But, today, a thing happened. 
Today, my school, my administration, my people celebrated their Teacher of The Year.

              



6 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! The flowers and necklace are beautiful. Even thought your staff and school community are going through some tough times, it's ok to also celebrate the wonderful things. And it sounds like you are a wonderful thing. Your students are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on being selected Teacher of the Year. It is an honor to be proud of. I absolutely hear you, the wind gets sucked out of happiness when sad times come around. I was so happy to read the end of your post. You deserve to be celebrated, especially because of the rough things you and your colleagues are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I know you have gone through some difficult times, but I hope yourself to feel some joy knowing that your colleagues are celebrating you today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! How lovely that everyone celebrated and honored you today! I'm willing to bet that having the chance to show you how much you are valued created some comfort in the face of everything else your school community has been dealing with.
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I'm sure that your colleagues are so excited for you and that this accomplishment has brought sunshine into this difficult time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Donnetta, congratulations! What a lovely and good surprise. That line, "Today, my school, my administration, my people celebrated their Teacher of The Year" is just everything! The good and the bad can dwell together. Though your school, your people grieved, they also took time to celebrate you. Just as they should. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete