Friday, March 15, 2024

My Word Buffet - March 15 2024 - SOLSC24

 My Word Buffet


I have accepted Leigh Anne Eck's March slicer party invitation. Below are the word I am adding to the word buffet.

Two of my favorite words are shenanigans and tomfoolery. I once hear a comedian use them together in his set, and I commandeered them as my own. (LOL)

Shenanigans (noun) - secret or dishonest activity or maneuvering as in silly or high-spirited behavior, as in mischief.

Tomfoolery (noun) -  foolish or silly behavior

Bougie is another one of my favorites. My husband and I have been able to give our kids a life style that I definitely did not know growing up, so I say my kids are bougie.

Bougie/bourgeois (adjective) - relating to or typical of the middle class, especially in espousing respectability an conventional middle class materialistic values.

I like to use the word parched when I want to be fancy. I'm not just thirsty; I'm parched.

Parched (adjective) - extremely thirsty

My final word is not one that I've not used in real life, but as I was thumbing through the book "100 words to make you sound smart", I came across this word. It reminds me of when my daughter and I binge-watched Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Red Herring (noun) - something that draws attention away from the matter at hand.



10 comments:

  1. I love these words, especially shenanigans. Being both a mom and a teacher, I've seen lots of those. :) Thank you for joining the party and sharing your words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these awesome words. I always smile when I hear the word Tomfoolery, It was used by someone recently on the radio and the way he pronounced it was so funny. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed your words. Series of Unfortunate Events is full of fun words- one of my favorites: penultimate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great words, Donnetta. Being the mystery buff I am, I love red herring. I always try to spot them when I am reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donnetta, nice collection of words. They are all interesting, and some very fun to say. I like the mystery of the red herring. I don't think I really had a simple definition for that before, but now I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never knew how to spell bougie. It's kind of a fun word to say. This word buffet is a cute idea. Hope to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bougie was a new-to-me word in the past year. It always surprises me when a word is out there that most people know and I'm clueless. I remember when my students tried to teach me the meaning of chillax back in the 90s. I've always been fascinated by words and love shenanigans too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a mix of words. When I first herd of the word "shenanigans" the sound of it amused me. Tomfoolery and bougie were new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also chose "shenanigans"! Everyone can have seconds of this!! Love your other 4 choices.

    ReplyDelete