Saturday, March 6, 2021

Drawing a Blank - SOLSC 2021


As I started writing with the Time to Write group this morning, I really didn't know what I would write about. It's early, around 9:00am, and besides having worked out this morning, nothing else significant has happened that I would deem Slice-worthy.

So rather than sitting and sulking at the fact that I had drawn a blank, that I seemed to have nothing write about, I decided to write about having drawn a blank.

I showed up to the page to get this thought/feeling out of my head. I let writing be the process by which I processed the moment.

It turns out I really did have something to write about. I did have an idea. I had not drawn a blank. My notebook and this Slice are witnesses to my writing despite thinking I had nothing to write about.

8 comments:

  1. I felt this way earlier in the week. Then, I found that my morning pages were helping me discover ideas just by writing in my notebook. Sometimes, when I am thinking too hard about ideas, my mind tricks me into thinking there is nothing to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I decided to write about having drawn a blank." Love that! It's just like we always tell students, just start. Begin. Write. I always find it so wild, weird, wonderful how thoughts seem to come out just like that. I want to hear about how you had already exercised by 9 am on a Saturday - IMPRESSIVE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, I'm an early bird and fairly routined. Working out at 7:00am on Saturdays is normal for me.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of letting writing be the process by which you processed. I jotted that as a note to myself in my notebook. You are very quotable this morning, Donetta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tell my students to do this when they feel stuck, so I should be better about letting myself write about feeling stuck, too. Cheers to you for working out and writing early on this Saturday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite writing exercises and often yields some of the best writing. I like the attention to your own thought process that you detailed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And this just might be the best mentor texts for our students - process over product every time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my favorite topics is writing about not having anything to write about. It usually yields nuggets of wisdom and insight, your post proves that.

    ReplyDelete