Sunday, March 6, 2022

Thanks for the Invitation - Day 6 - SOL 2022


As a teacher, one of the ways I build relationships with my students and their families is by asking to be informed when students have games, meets, and/or competitions for the activities they participate in outside of school. When I hear about a student having a birthday party, I will contact parents and ask if I can stop by and drop off a gift. 

In August, within a couple of weeks of school starting, I was invited to and attended a birthday party for one of my students. The parent of another of my students at the party confessed that she didn't believe I would come. She added that she'd told her daughter that teachers (me specifically) probably just say stuff like that. There was no malice intended. I honestly think she was trying to lessen her daughter's disappointment in the event that I didn't show up.

Fast forward Saturday, March 5 when I had the opportunity to prove to this same parent that I am a teacher of my word. Her daughter mentioned that she was taking gymnastics classes. I told her to tell her mom to let me know her competition dates. Although, there were several dates in which there was a conflict, and her mom probably thought I was blowing smoke, I made it to my student's competition and finally got to see her do her gymnastics-thing.

4 comments:

  1. You are better than me. I gave up students' birthday parties years ago. I am an introvert and found that I felt so out of place. I do have a student who is involved in gymnastics and I really should try to go to one of her meets. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an amazing effort on your part to connect with your students! Like Margaret, I tend to compartmentalize my work and after-work hours to avoid burnout and "over-peopling" (I'm an introvert, too). I know this makes a difference in your classroom relationships, too. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donnetta, it is great that you can commit to attending the events. Your students will appreciate that very much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found that students love when I attend their events (although not birthday parties!). On the flip side of that, I always tried to get my kids to write their teachers a thank you note and thank them for coming. It is nice to feel appreciate on both sides!

    ReplyDelete