Thursday, February 3, 2022

Snow - SOS no. 74

We don't normally get much snow where I live in Texas. But, as you can see from this picture I took when I got up this morning, we got some. Not much, but for Texas, this is a lot.

What you may not be able to tell from this picture is that there is a solid sheet of ice underneath that white stuff. 

It rained most of the night and as the temperatures dropped, we a lot sleet into the early morning hours. Snow began to fall after sunrise this morning.

If you follow Texas news or you live in or near Texas, you know that last year around this time, we experienced a massive snow storm that left millions without power and water, and here was a huge pile up on one of our interstates caused by black ice and limited visibility.

This year's storm has been significantly more mild. There have been some minor accidents, but far fewer power outages. Almost all of the school districts in this area cancelled school for Thursday and Friday in preparation of the coming storm. As an educator, I am grateful for the extra days off the snow has brung. I can't, however, stop thinking about my students and their families. I pray they are safe, warm, and well-prepared for our current conditions.

Fortunately, this weather will not last long here in our parts. By next week, we will see temperatures in the 50s or higher, and we probably won't even remember much about the snow and ice that us mostly shut in for a few days.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Winter, a lingering season, is a time to gather golden moments, embark upon a sentimental journey, and enjoy every idle hour.

[attributed to John Boswell]

I’m joining an open community of writers over at Sharing Our Stories: Magic in a Blog. If you write (or want to write) just for the magic of it, consider this your invitation to join us. #sosmagic



7 comments:

  1. Ahh, the photo! Snow in Texas is an unexpected topic. Part of me is envious of your temps next week, but then I think about the wintery, snowy woods and the icy river that I cannot wait to run past once the massive snow drifts are cleared. Yes, I think I will take a few more weeks of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely get the worry about your students, but I'm glad you got a little snow. It's one of my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snow and Texas is an oxymoron, isn't it? I am so glad this year's storm did not have the same effects as last year's. Enjoy your warmer temps next week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot...I LOVE that quote at the end of your post! I have copied for a new notebook project I want to start! thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived in Texas for 11 years and have family there now. So my daily text is, Do you have power? I'm happy to report that all four households still have power. That was not the case last year! I hope your students are safe and well. Enjoy your short taste of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ice under the snow is so dangerous, both for walking and driving. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope all is well there - so strange over these last couple of years, how much snow Texas has gotten. I hope you were able to rest and write some. That ice underneath is treacherous for sure. Years ago we had a pretty good snow here in central NC and an ice storm right after it. A thick layer of ice covered everything as if the world was coated in white glass. You could not walk on it without your feet slipping out from underneath - that is the year I learned to put on socks OVER my shoes, to stick to the ice and keep myself upright. Safety to you and all yours.

    ReplyDelete