Friday, March 26, 2021

...Trust You? (Boy, Am I Glad I Did!) - SOLSC 2021


Do you know who Penny Kittle and Kelly Gallagher are? I had heard their names, but I didn't really know who they were. Did you know they recently started recording Youtube videos dedicated to reading and writing? Me neither.

Well, all that changed when my teacher-writer friend, Leigh Anne Eck, shared a link on Facebook for Penny and Kelly's "Day 5 March 23 2021" episode on Youtube.

Leigh Anne said, and I quote, "Such a great Penny Kittle and Kelly Gallagher video on the writing process and how it is different for everyone. You want to watch this - trust me."

Well, I trusted Leigh Anne. 

So far, I have watched the first 4 episodes. 

Oh! My! Goodness! When I tell you these two are a wealth of knowledge regarding books to read and everything writing, I mean they are a wealth of knowledge.

On the "Day 4" episode, Penny and Kelly interviewed Tom Newkirk (didn't know who he was either). And, honestly, I still don't really; except that he edited the book they just finished writing together.

 Tom advocates for the return of fiction writing in middle school and high school, and has written about the impact fiction has on writers.

Of all the ideas shared about why fiction should be taught in middle and high school, my favorites were the ideas about teachers.

"Unless teachers have the chance to try and write fiction themselves,...they are going to have trouble teaching fiction." ~ Tom Newkirk

"Teachers of writers need to be writers." ~ Tom Newkirk

These quotes brought a huge smile to my face, immediately followed by heart palpitations. I have never actually tried writing fiction. Though, I have tried teaching it. 

Bet you can guess what I will be writing soon? 

Needless to say, I am very glad I trusted my friend. 

Thank you Leigh Anne!!!

2 comments:

  1. I have been a Kittle and Gallagher fan for many years. Seeing them present is always a wonderful experience. We were all blessded last year when they began making these video, and doubly blessed this year! I am glad I could "introduce" you to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this!

    Thanks, Leigh Anne for posting the video.

    Have been Gallagher and Kittle fan since 2016 when I first started teaching... and I couldn't figure out how to get my high school students to read. Am so grateful for their work.

    ReplyDelete