Monday, March 15, 2021

Writing Goals - SOLSC 2021


 Recently, I got this hankering; a feeling, idea that I just can't shake. 

I feel the need to take action to become a confident and effective writing teacher.

When I think back on the courses I took to receive my Teaching Certification, I don't remember taking a course that solely focused on writing instruction.

When I think upon the professional development I have received throughout my career, the only writing-specific PD I received was for a formulaic writing curriculum I was expected to teach in that district.

Writing and writing instruction have become my passion over the last year or so. Although, I am a teacher-writer, and have had the pleasure of sharing my passion with my Scholars in the past.

Unfortunately, meaningful writing instruction has taken a backseat in these hybrid/remote learning times.

Maybe that hankering; that feeling is really a missing what was!
I miss teaching writing. I miss writer's workshop. I miss shared writing. I miss Scholars sharing their writing. I miss conferencing with Scholars about their writing.

Graduate degrees and certificate programs are expensive, so I'm exploring other options to reach my writing PD goals. 

4 comments:

  1. Until then, the TTW gang has got ya! I must say my in-person colleagues are envious of the luxurious 45-minute Writer's Workshop I hold daily. Who knew remote teaching would have it's benefits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - this year has been difficult for sure. I too miss conferring in person with writers. I still love the time we have and connecting to them in any way I can. This month reminds me that writing community can be developed virtually. Do you ever attend the TCRWP reunions? They are free and have a lot of writing session - it is this weekend https://readingandwritingproject.org/events/saturday-reunion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Claire! I just learned about this today. I will check it out.

      Delete
  3. I teach Reading, but try to find ways to infuse writing into lessons. They are two sides of the same coin and students solidify understanding when they write. I hope you find ways to teach writing in your day to day.

    ReplyDelete