Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Reflections for Today I Write 12-31-19

REFLECTIONS
Representing 2019
Goal-setting for 2020

I receive emails from Ryan Sheehy (@sheehyrw), author of Be The One For Kids. Yesterday's email included a weekly challenge to ask myself two questions. I responded to the two questions in my notebook, and decided to record them on my blog as well.

Question 1: What 5 things would represent your 2019 year? (no particular order)
  • My cellphone represents my connection to the world through social media, specifically my favorite site, Twitter. I have connected with authors, speakers, and educators who have contributed to my personal and professional growth, social and emotional well-being, and health and fitness goals.
  • This past summer I started a journey of writing, so my writer's notebook is a representation of this time.  Two of my writing pieces were published in a blog; I read some amazing books as a part of a summer writing camp with Kate Messner; and I participated in the #100DOSW19 (100 Days of Summer Writing).
  • Books would make the list every year, probably, because I love to read. I read some insightful professional education books that have grown me as a teacher/leader. I read some very entertaining picture books and middle grades books. I have received and read some culturally diverse books that my Scholars and I have enjoyed in the classroom, thanks to the #clearthelist movement.
  • Fitness and living a healthy lifestyle have been important to me for most of the last 4-5 years. Running was my primary means of staying in shape, until I was introduced to CampGladiator. It has completely changed my life, my mind, and my body. My workout mat and weights represent the health and fitness aspects of my life.
  • A baseball represents my being a Baseball Mom. My 12-year-old son plays Select Baseball, for most of the year. Being present at every one of his games is a high priority.


Question 2: What are my goals for 2020?

Responding to this question was actually easier than I thought. I tend to be a "go with the flow" kind of person and with a "let's just see what happens" mindset.  But, after experiencing Rachel and Dave Hollis and Trent Shelton via social media and podcasts, I had already given some thought to what I want to achieve in 2020.
  • Write Daily - I began my writing journey again on December 15, 2019. It felt like an old hat. I challenged myself that day to write something everyday. (I prayed to God for help, too.) So far, so good.  I started blogging my notebook entries, and am scheduled to participate in the #100daysofnotebooking with Michelle Haseltine (@Mhaseltine).
  • Stop Snacking - I know the importance of eating healthy, well-balanced meals and snacks for overall health and fitness, and I do a fairly good job with being consistent with breakfast and meal-prepping lunch. But, I so enjoy chips. My sweet tooth has been tamed, but salty snacks are my nemesis. Ya'll pray for me!
  • Create Graphics - Shout out to Meredith Johnson (@mjjohnson1216), who tweeted about educators creating a #OneWord2020 graphic for her bookcamppd.com/oneword2020 web page. I had no idea how to create a graphic, but I learned by trial and error after receiving suggestions on which apps/resources to use.  I played around with a couple of apps; creating a graphic or two.  I even modified a graphic to use in one of my recent blog posts.  I think I'm hooked. I can't wait to show my 2nd Grade Scholars what I learned and how to use these apps, too.
I am beyond excited for what's to come in 2020. I challenge you to reflect on the two questions above. If you are a write or ever thought about writing, join me on the notebooking journey for the next 100 days. Until next time.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that you'll be joining #100daysofnotebooking. Your writing inspires me! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With encouragement like this, I will likely never stop writing...actually that's the plan. Thank you for the kind words.

      Delete
  2. I lvoe these two questions and will make a great notebook entry for the challenge! So glad you are joining us!

    ReplyDelete