Tuesday, March 24, 2020

The New Normal

March 24, 2020

Before all the changes occurred due to the Coronavirus, my days were filled with activity, from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed.

I started my day at 3:45 in the morning. I worked out at 5:00. I left for work at 7:00, and left for home at 5:00. My day usually ended around 8:30-9:00, depending on if I actually followed the bedtime alarm set in my phone.

In the early stages of the change, when our schools closed, I tried to maintain the early morning part of my daily routine. I still got up at 3:45, and I still worked out at 5:00. But I had to figure out what to do the rest of each day. I ended up filling many of them with reading, writing, and napping.

Eventually, it became harder and harder to get up at 3:45 when, for all intents and purposes, I really didn't have to anymore. I realized I needed a new normal, but what would that look like? Honestly, not much different than the old. I just needed to adjust the times.

Now, I get up at 7:00 in the morning. I do my virtual workout at 8:30, since I can no longer meet with my Camp Gladiator trainer (shelter in place ordered for our area announced today). I walk one mile from 9:30-10:00. Then, I prepare breakfast and "monitor" my 7th grader while he completes his distance learning for the day. After my shower, I still fill the rest of the day with reading, writing, and a lot of napping.

4 comments:

  1. I’ve read a few posts about adjusting schedules. It sounds like you’re getting into a groove

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm an early riser as well. This morning when I got up at 5, I was wondering if it was worth it. To me, there's something magical about that time of day. Most people are still sleeping and there is the promise of a new day. I may not give it up-though I'm tempted ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still working on a new schedule. My days have become over-full with work. I started at 8:30 this morning and it's 9:15 at night now, and I only just stopped working 20 minutes ago. Not good. I need to sit myself down and make a better plan. Your schedule adjustment sounds good. It must be nice to get an extra 3 1/4 hours a sleep each night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, your experience mirrors mine. But I'm retired so I had just begun to question the need to be up so early for yoga. I think the sun rise is a good thing to follow, which will get earlier in the summer. Finding a new 'schedule' is more learning how to live with a flexible schedule right now.

    ReplyDelete