Saturday, March 7, 2020

Explaining 5 Random Things About Me

1. I workout at 5am daily.

I started running in 2013 when I lived in Hawaii. I don't remember why I developed the habit of running before the sun, but I did. For whatever reason, I feel I'm at my best in morning. I guess that makes me a morning person. When I trading weight training for running, it just seem natural to keep the routine. I will tell you a little secret, though. I sleep in my workout clothes, which makes it easier to have to get up so early.

2. I run one 5k per month.

I used to be an avid runner. I ran all the time and all the races. I have run countless 5ks and 10ks, as well as one half marathon and one full marathon. When we moved to Texas from Hawaii, I was introduced to Camp Gladiator and, as previous mentioned, I started weight training more and running less. You probably are wondering why I could do both...time. I run 5ks because I don't have to train any more than I already do to be successful. I run per month because races can be expensive.

3. I live in Hawaii.

My family is Army Retired; well, actually my husband it. Hawaii was our last duty station. Beautiful island, amazing food, stunning beaches, deeply-rooted culture, and welcoming people (most of whom are not Hawaiian). If you ever have the opportunity to experience a Hawaiian sunrise or sunset, you will be blown away. I loved driving home from work with the mountains in the horizon. Such an amazing site.

4. I started writing in the summer of 2019.

I took advantage of three writing opportunities during this summer. One opportunity was writing with the #100DOSW19 group. I wrote most of the 100 days, but once school started, it was hard to keep up. Actually, I just didn't make it a priority. The second opportunity came when  I participated in Kate Messner's Teachers Write Summer Camp. It was so much fun reading the mentor texts, imitating writing styles and trying poetry. I also participated in a Teach Write Academy online course. I wrote along side some very talented writers. 

5. I love apples and peanut butter.

Gala, Fuji, and Honeycrisp apples are my favorite. I eat natural peanut butter, packaged in glass jars and with the layer of oil on top. My two favorites brands in a particular order are Smucker's Natural Chunky and Laura Scudder's Old Fashion Peanut Butter - Nutty.



7 comments:

  1. Yea! Thank you for the expanded info on your random facts! And honeycrisp apples are my favorite. I'm allergic to apples, but I make exceptions from time to time. It's just too hard to live without them! :)
    Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel as if I truly met you! This is a wonderful slice. I hope I will visit Hawaii one day! Love the suggestion of sleeping in your workout clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donnetta, your writing puts images in my head because of the lovely details, like the kinds of apples and peanut butter. It's nice to get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for expanding upon your earlier Slice. Inquiring minds needed to know! Samesies with the three apple choices. So glad Teach Write us into each others writing lives! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great to learn more about your random facts. Another teacher in our building did Kate Messler’s camp the last two summers. She’s visiting our school next month. Maybe I should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You run, you write, you live in Hawaii. Sounds perfect! I walk, I write, I live in New York and I LOVE Envy apples. Have you ever tried them? I also love Peanut & Co, Crunch Time peanut butter.Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in Texas. I need to proofread before publishing. I lived in Hawaii for 3 years.

      Delete