Saturday, February 19, 2022

The Kind of _____ Who... SOS no. 76

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
[Helen Keller]

Statements such as this make me pause and reflect. Reflection is a great tool for evaluating one's goal and/or progress toward said goals. Reflection is also great for allowing one to see/determine areas of strength, or celebration, as well as areas that need refinement. I am grateful for this opportunity to reflect on the kind of _____ that I have been, I am, and I strive to be.

________________________________________________

I have been the kind of teacher who had to be in complete control, often to the detriment of my relationship with my students. I am, and strive to be, the kind of teacher who gradually releases control and the responsibility of learning to my students. I want to build the kind of relationship with my students  that communicates love, confidence, and trust.

I have been the kind of teacher who believed, "I taught it. They should have learned it." I am, and strive to be, the kind of teacher who revisits a concept/skill as many as needed until it is learned. I want to build a classroom culture with my students that communicates, "one and done is not acceptable", and "practice makes a learner".

I have been the kind of teacher who wasn't a writer, but who tried to teach writing well. I am, and strive to be, the kind of teacher who writes, writes well, reads about writing, and studies how to teach writing well. I want to build a writing habit that will put me in a position to model for my students ALL THE THINGS it means to be a writer. 

I have been the kind of teacher who only read aloud to her students when it was in the lesson plans. I am, and strive to be, the kind of teacher who reads aloud to her students as often as she can. I want my students to see themselves in the books I read which drives my desire to diversify my classroom library.

I have been the kind of person who only read for fun during the summer months. I am, and strive to be, the kind of person who reads diverse genres all year long. I want to build my own reading muscle and share my love of reading with my students, hoping they will develop their own love of reading.

I could go on and on writing about the kind of _____ who I have been, am, and strive to be. I probably will continue to think about it. But, the words will likely end up in my notebook rather than on this blog.
________________________________________________
I’m joining an open community of writers over at Sharing Our Stories: Magic in a Blog. If you write (or want to write) just for the magic of it, consider this your invitation to join us. #sosmagic

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful reflection. You know who you were, are and strive to be. Isn't it great that we are all capable of growing and changing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this reflection, and I want to use it in my own journal!

    ReplyDelete