Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Memories- SOLSC 2021

Memories!!!

I remember riding in a car with no seat belts. I remember playing outside until the streetlights come on, or until your mama yelled your name from the front door. I remember cigar-shaped bubblegum and boxes of candy cigarettes.

I read a Slice about scars today, and it reminded me of a scar I have on my inner left thigh.

During my entire childhood, most of the adults in my life smoked - cigarettes, a pipe, and sometimes something stronger. So, one day, when no one was home. I grabbed a pack of cigarettes - bubblegum cigarettes - and I lit up.

So, I learned very quickly that bubblegum ci the gum melted and dripped onto my thigh in a near-perfect circle. I remember flailing around trying to get the hot gum off of my skin by any means possible.

Of all these memories, I don't remember EVER telling my mother about my shenanigans.

Thank you Erica for helping me laugh again today. I may have laughed more while writing my scar story than while reading yours.

 

3 comments:

  1. Ouch! I can just imagine the feel of that. Love the sneakiness and the descriptions and the list of what you remember. I remember those candies too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I'm sorry about the painful memory/scar, I'm glad I could inspire some writing! I like that scars are often things we overlook, but aren't they automatically stories or cautionary tales baked into it. I'm glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete